My Life as a (Temporary) Single Mom (Part 2)

The other people queuing were also understanding but when I looked at them, I could see their questioning eyes wondering where the father of my son was and why I was alone taking care of him. Most people just jump to conclusions and I don't blame them. I was like that when I was younger. I would immediately think that a woman is a single mom if I see her alone with her child/children just because my mom is.

Back at home, there were times when my mom would be late in the evening so I had no choice but to bring my son along with me to the kitchen to cook dinner. Our kitchen is very tiny and so it was a real challenge to have a toddler there while cooking. I also had no choice but to do other chores with him. The chores became more tiring and took longer to finish.

At bedtime, all my efforts are rewarded because my son would snuggle up to me while we watch tv and when we have quiet time. He would ask me to read him a book or play with a few toys in bed but quiet time is mostly spent with a few books. He would sometimes fall asleep on my lap and I would remember the time when he was just a tiny baby, always sleeping in my arms or on my lap while I do my work. Sometimes I can't believe how time flies because he is so big now. He would also have moments when he would just kiss me all over my face. He would also have biting fits when he becomes so gigil. He would hug me and kiss me again and again and I could see my husband over on Skype getting jealous because he is miles away from his son. Sometimes my son would stop to hug me, give me a kiss and then go on with his activity. I think this is his way of saying that he appreciates everything I do for him.

The bigger sleeping space also thrilled my son. He would roll around the bed before and during sleep. I would always wake up to make sure that he is not close to the edge. Sometimes I would wake up and see him hugging me.

Life as a single mom is hard and so I have the highest respect for those women. I am not saying that I am more fortunate than them. This experience has made me stronger. It has made my bond with my son stronger. It has made me realize a lot of things. It has helped me discover my strengths and weaknesses. It has taught me to ask help but also made me believe that I can do things on my own. If my husband will be sent on another business trip, sure, no problem.The days will be long but the time spent with my son is irreplaceable.

Comments

Popular Posts