MY Tips for Traveling To Baguio Part 2

This is the continuation of my Baguio travel tips. See part 1 here.

SHOPPING

There are many things you can buy in Baguio. You can buy food, souvenir items, clothes, etc.

IMG_0710

For pasalubong (coming home presents), the market is my best bet. You can buy food (strawberry jams, ube (purple yam) dessert, key chains, Ilocos blankets and hand towels, fresh strawberries, magnets, jackets and sweaters, t-shirts and a whole lot more, all at bargain prices! Well, except for the strawberries as the prices differ daily. They get super expensive during holidays so beware!

Good Shepherd is my go-to place for Ube and Strawberry jam. They are more expensive than the brands in the market but they are really delicious!

You can also do some retail therapy in SM and other local malls. I will talk about shopping more in the coming days so stay tuned. Meanwhile, here’s an idea of what you can buy in Baguio.

WHAT TO PACK

First, you must take into account the number of days you will be spending in Baguio then you can figure out how many clothes to bring. Next, take into account the number of times you need to change clothes. For example, we go out after breakfast then go back to the hotel for lunch/after lunch then I let my son take his nap. Then we go out again in the afternoon and stay out until dinner. So, when my morning clothes get all sweaty, I change into something new for our afternoon trip. Yes, Baguio can be hot from around 9 am to 5 pm.

Always pack an umbrella as it can be too hot in some places. It also rains all of a sudden in Baguio so best be prepared. My husband had to buy an umbrella because he thought that it wouldn’t rain so he left ours in the hotel. Good thing his destination was SM so buying an umbrella was not a problem.

Bring lots of lotion and moisturizers. If you have a moisturizing facial mist, pack that too. Pack these things for the whole family. Baguio air can be very drying. Until now, my facial skin is still super dry.  More on how to pack your vanity kit soon!

Around this time, the cold air is bearable but during December to early February, it can become super cold in Baguio. My friend’s family lives in Baguio and she said that they all went down to Manila last January because they couldn’t take the cold. The temperatures were an all time low. So, check the weather forecast and pack accordingly.

You can buy sweaters and jackets in the market and in the malls. Knitted sweaters cost Php150 which is a real steal but they only fit extra small to small sizes. Larger sizes cost more.  If you are buying several pieces, haggle. Shawls are also available in the market and prices start at Php120.

PACKING YOUR CARRY-ON

We stayed in Baguio for a week so we brought big luggage. For our carry-on, we had about 5 bags. I know it is not practical but here is a break down:
  • my purse
  • our laptop bag
  • my son’s bag
  • a bag that contains my son’s pillows
  • food bag
My son’s bag contains his toys, extra diapers, cotton, barf bags and a change of clothes. I totally forgot to pack extra clothes in his carry-on when we went there. He ended up barfing during the trip so we made do with wet wipes and tissues. I was asleep when he became sick and my husband was not able to get the bags on time.  I washed his clothes and pillow case when we got to the hotel. So, don’t forget to pack extra clothes for you and your kids.

I decided to bring his favorite pillows along to make him more comfortable during the trip. This was a good decision as he slept most of the time and was very comfortable. His favorite pillow also helped when he was experiencing motion sickness.

Our food bag contained breakfast food as our trip was at 6 am. It also contained my son’s formula, water and bottles. I also packed extra snacks such as cheese, Coco Pops, energy bars and grapes good for the 3 of us. We had more bags but the convenience of knowing exactly where I would dip my hands into (in such a cramped space) was worth the effort.

GETTING AROUND

There is no scarcity of taxis in Baguio. Getting around is very easy and convenient. Jeepneys are also available but I prefer the taxis. If you are just going around the CBD, fare will be around 45 pesos and up depending on your destination.

The majority of Baguio drivers are honest. They will give you back your change even if it’s just 1 peso. Most drivers in Manila won’t give you back your change even if it’s 20 pesos.

For longer trips such as if you are going to Holy Land, Strawberry Farm or Dinosaur Island, you need to talk to a taxi driver and hire the taxi by the hour. Some drivers charge 800 pesos for a round trip while others charge by the hour for 300 pesos. Ask around and compare prices.

Senior citizens and PWDs are given priority in taxi lines.

WHERE TO GO AND WHAT TO SEE

Baguio is a beautiful city. There are many places to visit but I am not a sightseeing person. I’m a city girl and I prefer shopping over picture taking. But, we went to a few tourist places such as Burnham and Mines View Parks, Dinosaur Island and Holy Land. You can also visit the strawberry farm, The Mansion House and the latest attraction, La Presa and so much more!

More on Dinosaur Island and Holy Land soon so stay tuned!

These are my general tips for traveling to Baguio. I will talk about choice topics in depth in the coming days so watch out for that.

Comments

Popular Posts