Cloud Unit Study

I want to do so many things in our homeschool but alas, there are only several waking hours in a day and clearly, they're not enough what with all the chores, work and life getting in the way. So, I decided to chop up our lessons into one subject per day:

Monday - Comm Arts
Tuesday - Math
Wednesday - Science
Thursday - Filipino and Geography & History
Friday - MAPE and other things that I want to teach my boy

Since today is Science day and we're done with our school lessons (that is, the lessons that come from the school we're enrolled in) I decided to continue with our lessons in his Second Grade Binder. Today's lesson is all about clouds. Here's what we used/did:


The one on the left is the Get Ready for School Second Grade Binder. The one on the right is a Weather Encyclopedia I got from National Bookstore many years ago on sale. 



We talked about clouds and snow.


Then, I prepared these crafts. I saw this first one in school. The different teachers had variations on them. For preschool, they just did the craft. For the higher grades, they used this craft for an About Myself activity. We used it for cloud.


I just drew a cloud on a vellum board and cut it out. I also cut some strips of paper in the colors of the rainbow. 


Another activity that we did is this. I asked him to paint some vellum boards with green and blue paint to represent the sky and land. 



This is the finished craft which we filled up with cotton balls. 




After painting, we let the boards dry then I asked him to use cotton to make different kinds of clouds. We glued them onto the board and I asked him to label them. The last activity was a short quiz. 

This unit study was easy to prepare for and my son had lots of fun doing it. I hope this new schedule of ours will make us more productive and allow me to cover all the things that I want to study with him even with the limited time I have to prepare for them. 

If you have any tips on how to get ahead when preparing for homeschool, I'd love to hear them! Share them on the comments below. 

Comments

Popular Posts