My Love-Hate Relationship with Kinetic Sand


Ahh, Kinetic Sand..where to start...

I bought Kinetic Sand with the intention of adding it to our list of daily activities. It's a great way to strengthen grip strength, improve fine motor skills and to develop those tiny fingers in preparation for writing. I was debating whether to get this or the other brand but the SA said that Kinetic Sand is much faster to clean up. I was sold! Knowing my little boy, he would make a mess of it. 



But, things were different when we started playing. The sand kept sticking to my son's arms and legs. You see, you shouldn't play with this if you are sweating which is something that's impossible for kids. Kids are active and active kids sweat. 

It was also so hard to clean off the floor even with a broom and a mini broom. It would sneak inside crevices. Sure, I can put a mat underneath but the sand still goes everywhere. 

This is the reason why I kept the sand for a long time but one day, I decided to suck it up and just let my little one go crazy. That day, he wanted to make some pyramids. we started with a few up top and ended up with this:



It was a great hand/finger exercise and Math lesson in one. I also added some history lesson about the pyramids. Coincidentally, the Phineas and Ferb episode that day was also about pyramids. 




This is one of my son's favorite shows so he had a blast. 


Kinetic Sand - Love it? Hate it? Spill!

P.S.

We were gifted a knock off brand from Divisoria and it's sooooo much better to clean up than Kinetic Sand. Check it out here

Comments

  1. I too have a love hate relationship with kinetic sand. My three year old daughter loves it. But it’s original “bloodline” comes from polymeric paving sand, created to stick where it is and not change (kinda like toxic waste!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kinetic Sand’s bloodline comes from polymeric paving sand, designed to stick and stay where it is...FOREVER!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts