Eating Through our Pantry and Freezer – Meals 2, 3 and 4

I am starting a series on eating through our pantry and freezer. I am doing this in order to save money. Grocery shopping takes a huge chunk out of our budget and with only my husband’s income to support us, I need to have all sorts of tricks in order to stretch our budget.

First, let me show you what I am working with. Here’s what’s left in our food supply.

a bag of ground beef
a few shreds of ham
a few mini pizzas
6 pcs of squid balls
2 bags of ground pork
hotdogs
a bag of tortilla
some dried fish
1 potato (yes, one!)
tomatoes, garlic and onions
sweet potatoes
mung beans
a can of corned beef
a few eggs
4 eggplants

I started with the pancit yesterday so that’s a few ingredients off my original list. For dinner last night, I used half of the beef shreds to make this:

IMG_1690

This is a super easy beef and mushrooms dish. To prepare the beef, read this post first.

In a pan, I sauteed some sliced onions in oil. I then added half a can of mushrooms, leftover from my pancit dish. Wait for the mushrooms to cook. I then added the fried beef and poured about half a cup of water into the mixture. I seasoned it with premium soy sauce and some pepper. What made this dish so flavorful was the brown bits on the pan. I used the same pan where I fried the beef then deglazed it with water. My husband truly enjoyed this dish. He wanted to eat more but he needed to leave some to take to the office for lunch today.

Next is breakfast. I used 4 mini hotdogs and 2 eggs to make this breakfast tortilla.

IMG_1696

Sorry for the lousy photo. I totally forgot to take a picture. The tortilla on the left is my son’s. He demolished it, biting on every side. This would have been great with mayo but we ran out. I forgot to season the omelet so it’s a good thing that the hotdogs were seasoned nicely. That’s less salt for us! I served this with some chocolate soy milk from Hershey’s which my son loves.

For lunch, I cooked some sauteed mung beans.

IMG_1698

This is a very typical Filipino dish. It’s cheap and has many variations. I used to put shrimps in this dish when I wasn’t allergic to it yet. For this dish, I used about a fourth of a bag of ground pork. I sauteed some garlic, onions and tomatoes in oil. When the veggies were cooked, I added the ground pork. I let that cook for a couple of minutes then I  added 2 pork cubes and a cup of water. I let the pork cook through then I added the mung beans. Season with pepper.

To prepare the mung beans: Soak them overnight and then boil them in water until soft.

So that’s it. I actually can’t believe that I am able to stretch our food supply this far. I haven’t been grocery shopping in 6 weeks! But, I will probably have to make a quick trip tomorrow just to buy some vegetables. We can’t survive without them. I will continue this series and make sure to indicate if a meal I cook is from the leftover list above.

How do you save money on groceries and meals? Share! I’d love to hear your tips!

Comments

Popular Posts